Growing up in the Foothills

I’m from Los Angeles, but not the LA that everyone knows.

I mean, you say “Los Angeles” and you think about

or the beach

or Beverly Hills

Well, I didn’t come from there. I came from an area known as the East San Gabriel Valley – no, not that Valley – and a little town called La Verne, California.

People who are from LA usually can’t even point out where La Verne is, I need to give them clues – you know, Claremont . .. where the Claremont Colleges are, it’s where the 210 and the 57 meet, sort of, on your way out to Vegas – finally they figure it out.

But I was home over Christmas – and when the sky is clear and not smoggy (which, admittedly isn’t often) it can be as spectacular as the beach.

This is a view of Mt. Baldy from Upland

Mt. Baldy

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Growing up in the Foothills

I know it well. It’s where they shot La Verne & Shirley, right?

Yes, a joke I haven’t hadn’t heard for the 14 years I lived there.

Really you never heard that joke before? Because it’s kind of obvious if you think about it!

I never would have thought to make that connection! I mean La Verne and Shirley was set in Milwaukee, which is no where near California!

Shouldn’t it be L.A. Verne?

I’ve been to Alhambra and Monterrey Park but I think that’s as far east as I managed to go.

6. terence says:

La Verne is about 20 minutes with no traffic or 40 minutes with normal traffic east (10 to the 57 to the 210) heading towards San Bernardino, Las Vegas, El Paso, Houston, Florida . . .

Then I probably passed it on the way to Vegas. This was in 1996. It was one last trip before I left England for a better life (better city) in Asia. Two of my ex girlfriends had moved there so I met them and introduced them to each other but they didn’t hit it off. Both were married by this point.

8. terence says:

You passed by south of me – in 1996 the freeway through to Vegas wasn’t finished yet (it passed directly through my old house – you can still see my old curb number and the front part of our sidewalk – but then it turns into freeway where the actual house was located) – I think that was completed in 99 or 2000.

The 210 goes through your old house? So you mean I probably took the 10 to the 15?

10. terence says:

Yes to both.

(Note to WoAi about American english – only southern californians use a definite article in front of a freeway/highway – if you were from any other part of the US, you’d say “210 goes through your old house? So you mean I probably took 10 to the 15?”

Yes, I knew that. I know your from SoCal so I added the “the” :-p

“your from SoCal” . .. and the Queen’s English takes another reputation hit

I just got a new computer. I blame the keyboard. It keeps switching to UK keyboard so quote marks become @ signs.

A poor craftsman blames his tools.

15. Su Hsing says:

I sense a budding bromance here….

16. terence says:

@Su Hsing – Its a full out romance. No bro-ing.