Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet

So I heard about this randomly – I don’t even remember where. But Paul Pairet, the former chef at Shanghai’s Jade on 36 at the Shangri-la as well as the chef at Mr & Mrs Bund has a new restaurant concept, called Ultraviolet.

It sounds awfully pretentious here’s the text from the website:

Rock Salt 7 Stars Sea Bass, Crushed Urchin & Sea-Water Lime Fizz
Ocean Waves – Seagull and Whales in Love – Scent of Seaweed
Pacific Breeze – Vaporized Iodine Water – Blue Lights

But on the other hand the entire set-up sounds really intriguing. Ten seats every night – Tuesday – Saturday. 2000 RMB per dinner. Meet at an appointed place and then be drive to the dinner. A total immersion experience. So, of course, I put down my deposit yesterday for a dinner at Mr and Mrs Bund and got this “boarding pass” – it’s pretty cool.

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

And then you need to fill in an informational questionnaire on the website including . . . what handedness you are? Weird. Especially since I am left handed.

Anyways, Ultraviolet opens tomorrow – and my seating is for June 9th – so more to come!

This entry was posted in food, shanghai and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet

Have you paid already? This has all the signs of the Daft Punk fictitious concert scam!!

You’re right! French people are invovled!

But they are picking people up from Mr and Mrs Bund on the designated day, so at the very least I think I could sit in their lobby area until I got 500 RMB worth of food from MM Bund.

Tonight is opening night, so there should be blog reviews coming out pretty soon. Pictures are allowed, so I’ll go packing a camera or two. (Just can’t be a distraction to other guests)

3. Dad says:

It’s China. People take flash photos at classical concerts. Probably everyone will have at least one camera there.

Actually sounds very exciting. Can’t wait for your review. I’m trying to get a table at Otto e Mezzo Bombana for tomorrow. I think the chances are pretty slim.

@Dad – I think so – but then again, I’m also thinking that this dinner may be more of the Ferrari driving crowd. So maybe they won’t be taking photos of every dish.

@WoAi – Is it that difficult to get a table there on Tuesday nights? I know it’s quite good and all – but it doesn’t seem ‘hot’ like some other restaurants in town.

Sorry when I said tomorrow I hadn’t slept yet so it was still Sunday. As expected they laughed in my face and then hung up. I’m booked in to Sabatini at Wheelock House in Jingan instead, which is also supposed to be good.

@WoAi – Did you try booking in Cantonese? All of my Hong Kong friends are there constantly.

By the way, update to this post, my friend Monica who is the F+B editor for That’s Shanghai ate at UV at a media preview and said it was amazing.

Are you going alone? I was thinking wouldn’t it be cool to get 10 friends to go together and not “share” with strangers? Not that I would be worried about strangers, but it’ll be cool to enjoy it with other friends.

@WoAi – I am. I couldn’t think of any friends who are apt to drop 2000 on a meal.

Well it is a lot but it’s a bit more than just a meal and not something you do once a week. I’m going to try and get 10 people together. Many people from work have already said they’re definitely in. Although one guy did ask if he could get a pay rise first!

11. terence says:

Your co-workers are a lot less money conscious than my friends apparently.

I think the phrase you’re looking for to describe my colleagues is “financially irresponsible / wreckless”.

Does the 2,000 include drinks? I imagine you don’t choose but this will also be decided for you which may be fine but if not, the cost could easily double!

@WoAi – yes, it includes drink pairings – some will be wine, some won’t be. I think you can add on more wine as well, but they said there will be beverages paired. Since I don’t drink, they emailed me and said unfortunately they couldn’t bring the price down due to my non-alcohol drinking.

Oh okay, great. Then the 2,000 RMB seems slightly less expensive. Except for you!

@WoAi – Don’t worry about the wine. You’ll get plenty with the dinner. More than that, you will not wonder one bit where your money is going. IT WAS AMAZING. Blog post to come.

Waiting with baited breath, although I am still saving up to by my seat at the table.

Baited breath? Have you been hanging out with Dingle and his never-ending Minnesota fishing trip?

The Merchant of Venice: “Shall I bend low and, in a bondman’s key, / With bated breath and whisp’ring humbleness, / Say this …”

It is actually quite fitting that his last post was basically “gone fishing”. Anyway, I meant baited breath as I had maggots for lunch. So there!