Taipei redux

I was actually in Taipei, not to eat, but to run. Despite being woefully unprepared (wrong shoes!) and tired (just having run the Shanghai half two weeks prior).

I went for a warm up run around my hotel neighborhood just to get a feel for the weather (humid, rainy) and came across the Chaing Kai Shek memorial hall.

Another way I was unprepared for the run, was the night before I went with my co-worker to eat fresh beef hot pot. Maybe I was actually in Taipei to eat and running was just an excuse.

Outfit planning for a hot humid race.

Then Sunday morning. It started to rain. and then it really started to rain. I wished I had brought my Flash Pack because my socks got soaked running through the puddles.

Start line jitters

I didn’t take any photos during the race – my fingers couldn’t work the camera since everything was so wet. I ran slowly. Taipei’s route was much more difficult than Shanghai. Aside from the rain, the run forced us through narrow streets where you had to slow down (or at least I did) to keep from bumping the person ahead of me. The rain made my socks wet and I developed a blister on my right instep that I kept trying not to land on (for 16 km.) The race route went up bridges, down bridges, up on to the elevated highway, down into a long long tunnel with a long climb to get out near the end. I ran an entire 20 minutes slower than Shanghai!

I finally was able to dry my hands and take a photo at the finish

Here’s the route

Watching the rain fall from the dryness and warmth of the Nike VIP lounge

Well I finished. On to Hong Kong half marathon in February!

This entry was posted in food, Sport, Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Taipei redux

1. Dad says:

It’s all about finishing.

I’m not a runner but if you travel somewhere for a run event, I would have thought that bringing the right shoes would be kind of at the top of the list of things to pack. Is this running thing a recent hobby? It seems to be emerging as a very popular sport – quite a few people in my office are also obsessed, and I am not sure that’s overstating it!

@WoAi – I brought running shoes. But I have a pair that’s made for winter running – and is more water resistant and warmer than the pair I brought which is full of ventilation. Running is booming in China – the country has gone from having about 10 running events to well over 100 in about 5 years.

A great time to be working for a running shoe brand then. Did you happen to receive my email by the way?

@WoAi – I did! I am a terrible person when it comes to responding. I’ll get on it when I’m in Japan. And then visit post CNY.

Terence – No, no, I was just checking. You know how sometimes stuff gets lost in a spam folder or something, either by accident or on purpose 🙂

See you after the holidays then.