Korean Chicken Wings

So my friend Tiff and I have become obsessed with Korean Fried chicken from this place out PAST Gubei. It’s actually a chain from Korean called Kyochon 1991. They make fried chicken. Koreans and fried chicken? Yeah, it’s seriously good.

You can see from my last trip to Seoul that I actually had the fried chicken while there – the streets are filled with fried chicken and beer joints. Kyochon is a large international chain (Malaysia, the US and Singapore all have them) and they have a branch out way deep in the middle of Koreatown in Shanghai on Ziteng Road.

You can get there via line 10 on the subway, getting out at the Ziteng Road exit and then walking up Ziteng Road for 5 minutes. Once you get there, you need to put your name down for a table (even though it’s a fast food setting, your meal is anything but). Usually the wait has been around 20-30 minutes. Then you can order – they have three flavors – soy sauce, spicy and honey. I love love love the honey wings. That’s all I eat now. I found the soy sauce slightly salty. And I’m not very good with spice. The wings take another 30 minutes and then you feast!

It takes a bit of time to get out there, and it is crowded and closes too early for my tastes (10pm) – but it’s pretty much a weekly trip now.

Kyochon 1991
Chinese Listing
182 Ziteng Lu, near Wuzhong Lu. Near Line 10

This entry was posted in food, shanghai and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Korean Chicken Wings

Hmmm, that’s a hell of a long way (for me) to go for wings, but I’m sold. And well, line 10 is my go to subway line since both office and home are on line 10. Prices?

2. terence says:

@WoAi –

Be careful – I took my friend Sheila (http://sheila-zhao.com/) out there last week and at 8:30 (!) they were sold out of wings with like 20 people still in line. Also, I ran by there on Sunday at 6pm and there were 40 people in line(!) so I wasn’t going to get them for take-out then either.

Dianping lists the average price as 56 RMB/person – actually I found a menu photo here:

@Terence – Sounds like the Uncle Tetsu cheesecake fad all over again. Hmmm, I think I’ll pass.

@WoAi – but this time, the food is really good.

Found the reason

Yes, I already discussed this with a SH friend and she said it was only because of the Korean drama show rather than because the chicken is that amazing. But I don’t doubt your excellent taste, so I will check it out if the opportunity (without the silly queues) arises.

And talking of silly queues, it’s a 3 hour wait for a table for lunch at Jade Garden in Jingan (you line up and 9am and get seated at midday). Just wondering if you’ve been?

Yeah, it’s worth a 20 minute wait. Not worth a 3 hour wait. Jade Garden you can make reservations – it’s just you need to do so a week ahead of time. I haven’t been yet.

I was told it was a month in advance. A week, I can live with. Will give it a try to see what all the fuss is about. Seems to be mostly about that layered puff thing.

I’m booked in for two weeks from now for lunch. I’ll let you know.